ADSM-L

Re: TSM and RSM

2001-03-19 15:56:11
Subject: Re: TSM and RSM
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 14:57:53 -0600
Douglas Strilecky wrote:
> I've looked and can't find any specific info about how tapes get checked in
> and out of TSM under Win 2000 &RSM.  I find places where it says checkin
> and checkout aren't used but no where do I find what to do instead.  Any
> assistance in this will be greatly appreciated.

I can give you some negative information. RSM prevents TSM from direct
control of the library as far as media handling is concerned. TSM is not
able to label, check in, or check out tape volumes; these operations
must be performed by RSM through the Windows Management Console.

As one might expect, this throws DR media management right out the
window, since Windows wouldn't know a DR media volume from last night's
garbage. My understanding is that Microsoft's developers didn't even
write any code for RSM control; they wrote the API handles, and
(apparently) waiting for third parties to write the actual utilities.

The bottom line is: TSM and RSM do not coexist peacefully at this time.