ADSM-L

Re: Hard Disk Recovery

2001-03-19 01:25:54
Subject: Re: Hard Disk Recovery
From: Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 01:26:24 -0500
Sorry to jump in late, but I've seen a technician use a turntable (you know
record player - think before CD's) to do this.  The spindle on the Hard
Disk is very close to weight center on it.  Got it spinning at 78rpm, then
grabbed it off.

Yes, it was a while ago, and to prove it, this was an
MFM-connected/controlled disk.  (Showing my age a bit there...)

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

                    arhoads
                    <arhoads@PACBE       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    LL.NET>              cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: Hard Disk Recovery
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MAR
                    IST.EDU>

                    03/16/01 01:08
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Cody,

freezing a drive is a new one to me.  I'd be concerned that moisture
would condense inside the drive on the disk surfaces.

I've pulled drives and spun them (any smooth, slick - clean - surface),
hard & fast -- being careful not to launch the drive off a table, I'd
recommend using the floor -- and them grab them quickly to stop the
drive but leave the actual disk spinning inside.  I discovered this
technique from technicians that use it as one of their non-destructive
techniques.

Steffan