ADSM-L

Re: client notification

2001-03-18 22:38:02
Subject: Re: client notification
From: "Mark S." <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 21:32:58 -0600
John Bremer wrote:

> Indeed it is too bad TSM (or Veritas or Legato) doesn't supply a
> notification mechanism.  It's pretty simple for our UNIX clients to notify
> themselves, but for others, not so easy.

Indeed it is too bad that people don't understand the limitations of
operating systems and the use of redirection. If you'll RTFM, you'll
notice that each client that is backed up on a TSM scheduler basis has a
file called DSMSCHED.LOG. TSM can redirect messages to only one
location, no matter what the OS; in the case of a scheduled backup,
DSMSCHED.LOG receives the message. If you want it to go somewhere else,
you have to redirect it elsewhere.

Sheesh.