ADSM-L

Re: 3494 library / VOLSER problem

2001-03-18 08:33:48
Subject: Re: 3494 library / VOLSER problem
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 08:34:23 -0500
>Unfortunately , I have few PRIVATE volumes with labels peeled off from
>them . There used to have labels but probabaly due to excessive use
>the labels are peeled off.

Your posting is unspecific as to the kind of labels...
It is unwise to apply gummy labels to the flat face of tapes that go
into an automated library, as they are prone to come off, and can
make a mess of things in the library.
If you are talking the barcode on the edge of the tape: Good quality
barcodes simply do not come loose and fall off; and robotics never
touch them to cause any wear problems.

>Now, how can I know the label of that volume so that I can paste it
>with the paper label and then can check in.
>I have tried , CE utilities of 3590 E drive as well as tapeutil
>commands but of no help.

In that the TSM product derives from the disciplined environment of
mainframe processing, its tapes have internal labels.
So you can simply mount the tape in a drive, manually, and then use
your favorite operating system utility to inspect the tape label.
The tapeutil "read" function should be able to copy the label to
an OS file for you to inspect.  Or, as you are running AIX, you
could use the 'dd' command.

Whereas this label problem is probably pervasive in your library,
you should attend to the rest of the tapes before they have
detachment problems.  Note that you can also do a database query
at the 3494 Operator Station to determine the volsers of tapes
currently stored in library cells.

  Richard Sims, BU