ADSM-L

Re: STK9714 to STK9710 migration

2001-03-14 18:28:40
Subject: Re: STK9714 to STK9710 migration
From: Carl Makin <carl AT XENA.IPAUSTRALIA.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 10:28:33 +1100
Hi Laura,

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Galvin, Laura L. wrote:

> and I'm getting a STK9710.  Will I be able to move the tapes from on library
> to another?  Or do I need to define another library, checkout the tapes from
> the old STK9714 ( 100 tapes ) and check them in to the new library STK9714.

We did this about 18 months ago.  I wanted to rename the library as well
so we did something like this;

1.  Checked out every tape in the library with the "remove=no" option.
        - I first generated a list of scratch tapes.
2.  Deleted the 9714 library and drives from ADSM and removed the lb0
    and mt devices.
3.  Shut down ADSM
4.  Opened the door on the 9714 and removed all the tapes.
5.  Installed the 9710, connected it up and tested it
6.  Opened the door to the 9710 and manually put all the data cartridges
    into slots. I didn't put the scratch cartridges in, just the data.
7.  Rebooted the ADSM server (you could just run cfgmgr, that would work
    too)
8.  Defined the new lb0 and new drives to AIX (mt0..9, lb0)
9.  Started ADSM and defined the new drives and library.
10. Issued a checkin with "search=yes".
11. Opened the door and put the scratch tapes in.
12. Issued another checkin, search=yes for the scratch tapes.

Then we were up and running.

> Are there any special configurations on the STK9710 like FAST LOAD, AUTO
> CLEAN etc.  That should be set, does any one know?

They should be set on the 9710 the same as they are set on the 9714.  From
memory it's AUTOCLEAN=YES and FASTLOAD=YES.

> I know I'll need to define in AIX and TSM the additional tape drives.  But
> I'm trying to see the easiest way to get the tapes over because I only have
> ONE cap ( mailbox, in/out unit ).  It would be very time consuming to
> checkout/checkin the 100 tapes from one library to another.

Not if you use the "remove=no" and "search=yes" parameters and open the
door.

Carl.