ADSM-L

Re: Transfer rate in TSM 4.1 OS/390

2001-03-13 11:12:32
Subject: Re: Transfer rate in TSM 4.1 OS/390
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:13:03 -0500
>Anyone know about the highest transfer rate in TSM 4.1 OS/390 Server
>from OMVS Client through IBM 3494 Magstar 3590?. I have done some
>tests. The highest transfer rate that I have reached is 5MB/sec.
>Is it the maximum?

Wilfredo - The rate you get through an application like TSM is
           dependent upon all the things that the application has
to do in addition to transferring data.  The big factor in TSM is,
of course, database updating as part of file transfer.  The more
(small) files you have, the more db updating, and thus reduced
throughput.

The best course is to first get some benchmark figures for the
optimal transfer rate possible in your environment.  Do this by
taking over one of the drives and then use a simple command that
will transfer a large file (a gigabyte would be good) of known
size to a mounted + ready tape, and time the transfer.  I would
either send randomized data or disable tape drive compression
in order to get true write performance numbers.  (Use an empty
tape that does not belong to TSM, as the test will either write
over the label or create its own label.)

Thereafer, use TSM incremental backup to back up the same file,
to a fresh tape, and compare the numbers.

  Richard Sims, BU