ADSM-L

LTO Microcode - Perf Improvement

2001-03-12 09:11:12
Subject: LTO Microcode - Perf Improvement
From: arhoads <arhoads AT PACBELL DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 06:10:46 -0800
I'm posting this to the ADSM-L list so that anyone to whom it applies
can gain the benefit ASAP.  I get it from an IBM internal/Business
Partner mailing and recieved permission to post it here.

Regards,  Steffan

+++++++++++

The latest LTO drive microcode (0CE1) provides a
significant performance improvement for customers doing
certain types of tape operations.  This level of code
dramatically improves the overheads associated with
buffer flush (write 0 filemarks) and end of file (write
2 filemarks, backspace 1 filemark).

TSM does a buffer flush after every transaction.  The
end of file impact would be greatest for customers
writing a series of files to the LTO tape drive.  For
tape applications that intensively use buffer flush or
are writing a series of files we have seen 30% to 50%
elapsed time improvements after installing 0CE1.  0BN1
was the previous LTO drive microcode release.

For 3580, 3581, and 3583 mach types (Customer Setup),
the customer can download 0CE1 from:

     ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/storage/358x

     Choose 0CE1.fmr

Instructions for verifying the current LTO drive
microcode release and how to install the new release
can be found in the IBM Ultrium Device Drivers
Installation and Users Guide available from:

     ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/devdrvr/

For 3584s, have the customer request his CE update the
LTO drive microcode.