ADSM-L

Re: Servers freeze with Linux-Client on Kernel 2.4

2001-03-09 08:22:10
Subject: Re: Servers freeze with Linux-Client on Kernel 2.4
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 08:22:40 -0500
>We tried to Backup a Linux-Client with SuSE 7.1 , Kernel 2.4.x and
>TSM-CLient Version 4.1.1 (cause 4.1.2 doesn't Support national
>Characters).
>
>In both causes, per Scheduler or Command Line, the Server freezes
>without any Messages anywhere.

I recall postings from about a year ago (see www.adsm.org), relating
to server problems in conjunction with artifacts of the Linux system
as conveyed by the client.  You didn't specify the level of server you
are sending to, but it may be the case that the server level is old
and needs upgrading.  In any case, if a server freezes due to anything
coming from a client, it's defective and needs fixing: servers need
to be robust, and be able to protect themselves from anything coming
in from the network, be it legitimate traffic or malicious attack stuff.

   Richard Sims, BU