ADSM-L

Re: Window Client - Time Change bug

2001-03-01 18:18:01
Subject: Re: Window Client - Time Change bug
From: Len Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 17:58:38 EST
In article <3A9E5112.19810.9BD5F2E@localhost>, "Wayne T. Smith"
<ADSM AT MAINE DOT EDU>
says:

>Len kindly replied, in part..
>
>> I Think that 4.1.1 is most likely the best one at this time. That is
>> the fixtest for 4.1.1 which is 4.1.1.16. I have found that the fixtests
>> appear to work better then the releases with the windows nt client.
>
>Though I might select a fixtest for some backup, I don't think that I
>want to suggest to my customers that they should all install/upgrade to
>a fixtest version.
>
>Besides, won't 4.1.1.16 re-backup all my NTFS come the next time-
>shift?  :-(

Hello Wayne

Yes tsm 4.1.1 is reported to backup all your files again. But the
readme for the fixtest 16 for it says:

* Fixtest 16,  IC28544: "AUTOMATICALLY ADJUST CLOCK FOR DAYLIGHT SAVINGS
*                        CHANGES" CAUSES INCREMENTAL TO DO FULL BACKUP
*                        ON WINDOWS NT AND WINDOWS 2000

I thought that the fixtest worked. If not then I second the thought that
the fixtest for 4.1.2 should be the best. But there are several
problems reported against the 4.1.2 released client that manifest
as user abends.I hope that they get this cleaned up.

I have found that the release clients normally have new fixes and/or
functions that cause problems. The fixtests quite often fix these
without causing new problems. So I believe that most of our nt clients
are using one fixtest or another.

I think that the only answer to this is for the tsm folks to release the
new clients as fixtests aka beta test clients first and then releasing
them as released clients after fixing the problems reported. This would be
a fixtest that is avaiable on the ftp site and not just a few selected
customers. There is no way, that the dev/testing groups can test
every possible combination for hardware and software used with these
clients. I also agree with Andy that they should still work to improve
the process.

Regards len
Leonard Boyle                               snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle                               snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room RB448                                  len.boyle AT sas DOT com
1 SAS Campus Drive                          (919) 531-6241
Cary NC 27513