ADSM-L

Re: New server

2001-03-01 17:12:35
Subject: Re: New server
From: "Stephen A. Cochran" <Stephen.A.Cochran AT CAHIR DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 17:13:02 EST
--- "David Longo" wrote:
1.  How many clients will you be backing up?
1.  How many clients will you be backing up?

2.  How much data will be backed up daily?

3.  How big will your Storage pools be?

4.  What type/speed network do you have?

5.  What library do you have?
--- end of quote ---
Sorry, my first post wasn't quite up to snuff.
Sorry, my first post wasn't quite up to snuff.

1. We are only starting with unix workstations for faculty. My guess is
somewhere under 500, but a future plan might offer backup to all computer users
on campus (~3000).

2. We don't have any good idea on the amound of data, this is just a backup for
personal workstations, not servers or databases.

3. TBD, probably with more help from this list. The tape library will only be
used for this backup, so I have 96 tapes in the library available.

4. The server will be connected via 100base-T switched ethernet to the backbone.
Most clients only have 10, some not switched, though this is changing to 10/100
switched over time.

5. We have a compaq TL895 tape library with 5 drives. It came configured with no
more than two drives on one SCSI channel. Drives have SCSI-2 interface.

Steve Cochran