ADSM-L

Netware clients and DSM threads

2001-02-21 07:23:25
Subject: Netware clients and DSM threads
From: "Mark S." <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 06:21:12 -0600
I don't know what others' experiences have been, but I have run across
something interesting.

It appears that Netware does not tolerate more than 3 concurrent DSM
threads. I can reproduce Netware abends when there are 4 or more DSM
processes. As near as I can tell, the Netware modules that chokes is
FILESYS.NLM. I discover this while the Netware client had the following
processes going: DSMC SCHED, a web-based backup with DSMCAD going, a
regular DSMC session (which was not doing anything), and a restore
coming from another Netware node. I also could abend the node while
running a backup from its console with RESOURCEUTILIZATION set to 5,
which set up four sessions with the TSM server.

The environment is:

Netware 5.1 with the latest service packs
TSM client 4.1.2
TSM server 4.1.2 (Windows NT)