ADSM-L

Re: Incremental Restore

2001-02-20 11:32:01
Subject: Re: Incremental Restore
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 11:32:29 -0500
>My idea is to restore the complete data to the new volumes while users work
>on the old ones. After finishing this restore, I want to do another
>incremental backup of the old volumes to get the meanwhile changed data.
>
>But : how do I get only these data to the new volumes without touching all
>the other older data on the tapes ???

Christoph - With the current and prep volumes essentially side-by-side,
            I would tend to approach the prep volume refresh outside
of *SM.  In a Unix environment I would use something like the 'rdist'
command to update the prep volume's contents to contain the same as
the current volume; or perhaps a fabrication based upon the 'find'
command identifying new/updated files in the current volume so as to
copy to the prep volume (though this approach lacks reconciliation for
files deleted from the current volume, that should not appear on the
prep volume - which you have to watch out for in an *SM approach as
well). Your operating system likely provides similar commands, or
there would be something in the public domain.

   Richard Sims, BU