ADSM-L

Re: OS/2 System Imaging

2001-02-17 22:41:33
Subject: Re: OS/2 System Imaging
From: Gyula Bereczky <bx AT DATATRANS DOT HU>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 04:25:22 +0100
On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 01:19:15PM +0100, Orsi Balázs wrote:
> Is everyone has a solution to backup a complete informatios, files, etc.
> under OS/2. Does exist any software to make a complete image from HDD?

There is a really nice, tho highly unsupported way to do this :)
With adsm for os/2 v2 client it is possible to make os/2 boot disks which
can restore a whole os/2 system from the scratch. There is a pretty old
bare metal redbook which describes how to prepare these disks.
There are few things to know:
1. You need to make backups with v2 client, since v2 client can not
restore backups made by later clients.
2. TSM officially does not support v2/v3 clients, but we still use
this method for os/2 clients. ( TSM 4.1 server )
3. You can not build these disks of v3/later clients.

Alternatively, if you have the same type of HDD's, you can use the DRM
client. ( Which I don't like so much.. )

--
       bx
       bx