ADSM-L

Re: Formula to calculate # tapes required

2001-02-16 13:21:34
Subject: Re: Formula to calculate # tapes required
From: Joe Faracchio <brother AT SOCRATES.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 10:22:01 -0800
I would add to this an amount of tapes for 'cycling'
We do not recall the offsite tapes that have "just' been reclaimed
but put it off for another week so that the tapes they are replacing are
already in place at the offsite location.  For me this number is 20-50.
Current view of offsite pendings are (roughly):

200047                 2001-01-29     COPYPOOL
... continue for  29 more tapes to ...
200447                 2001-01-29     COPYPOOL
200023                 2001-02-05     COPYPOOL
 .... continue for 30 ... more tapes to ...
200490                 2001-02-05     COPYPOOL
200046                 2001-02-12     COPYPOOL
  ... continue for 35 more tapes (someone with 220 Gigs canceled the
       service after getting a bill for $4000./month.
200094                 2001-02-14     COPYPOOL

Plus there is always 9 DB backup tapes 3 to go along with each weekly
cycle.
            .. joe.f.

I don't think compress enters into this equation because I have one or two
clients that 'got away' with not using compress and their tapes show 30Gig
in use but the tapes are 20Gig 3590s.  All other tapes 'hover' around 20
gigs when they go to full so I figure their data is already compressed.

 Joseph A Faracchio,  Systems Programmer, UC Berkeley