ADSM-L

Re: IBM 3575-L32 tapes broke

2001-02-14 16:15:53
Subject: Re: IBM 3575-L32 tapes broke
From: George Lesho <glesho AT AFCE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:18:13 -0600
David... TSM 3.7.3.6 AIX 4.3.2 with a 3575 L32... I have about .015 of my
700-800 total volumes with excessive media errors. Out of the same total, I have
about a dozen that have had to been marked destroyed because they couldn't be
mounted and I have had one break. I am using a variety of Magstar tapes and the
one that broke was a Magstar MP C-Format XL 7GB. I have been at this job since
last July (my first exposure to TSM) but we have been plauged with drive errors
due to the poor quality of this media since I got here. The number of broken
tapes you are getting relative to the single broken tape I have had indicates
you have a problem that should be looked at by a CE. It may be an alignment
thing that is very subtle. My experience with the CEs is that they don't have a
lot of these tape libraries to gain experience with and subtle problems are
difficult for them to track down. Not sure this info helped but might give some
perspective on the frequency of your broken tapes.... BTW: The tape that broke
was requested from offsite to restore a primary pool volume which couldn't be
mounted... If this happens, you are out of luck....

George Lesho
Storage/System Admin
AFC Enterprises

David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG> on 02/14/2001 02:06:19 PM