ADSM-L

Looking at a different way to backup Oracle

2001-02-12 18:07:29
Subject: Looking at a different way to backup Oracle
From: M Jenkins <Mavis.Jenkins AT IPAUSTRALIA.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:52:18 +1000
Hi,

I'm newish to ADSM/TSM (& Unix) and have been following ADSM-L.  I would
like to throw my question to the combined brains of this list.

Our database area currently run full database backups via a cron job,
compress the results and then sends the data to ADSM.  With many new
projects (migrations, electronic files, re-engineered systems) planned for
the next 2 years, we expect a huge growth in the data that is currently
backed up on Oracle  running on Solaris or AIX platforms.

Our database team have started looking at performing incremental backups
I have suggestions to use SQL-Backtrack which can use the ADSM Unix Client
or use Oracle's incremental backup (which I think is called RMAN).

Do either of these products need to use more than just the Unix client  or
do they need to use TDP (which I have seen mentioned in this list) ?

Any information happily accepted.  Thankyou.

Mavis Jenkins
IP Australia