ADSM-L

Re: 3590 extended length

2001-02-11 16:32:36
Subject: Re: 3590 extended length
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 16:33:01 -0500
>...when I do an "mtlib" to check the inventory, I noticed that there
> is a 01 in the last field , i am not sure what this indicates

Stephen - In addition to planting a new lmcpd, installing the atldd
          device driver package also installs header file mtlibio.h
in /usr/include/sys/ on Unix systems.  In there, and in conjunction
with the IBM SCSI...Device Drivers manual, you can deduce what's what.
In this case, the 01 is in the vol_class bits, and identifies the
Volume Type.

>Then I checked volume adsm and it shows "PCT Util" at 100%
>ecen though the "Volume Status" is "Filling"

That's just a reflection of your Devclass Estcapacity being overly
conservative.  As mentioned many times in ADSM-L, the PCT Util
values you see are meaningless for tape, because unlike disk the
true capacity is not known until end-of-tape is encountered...
kind of like walking into a wall in the dark.  You can Update your
Devclass to have whatever capacity value you find when your tapes
finally fill, based upon the workload type.  Often, this number is
all over the place, so most customers don't bother doing the update
as it's usually pointless.

  Richard Sims, BU