ADSM-L

Re: TSM and 3494 Library Sharing

2001-02-09 14:51:12
Subject: Re: TSM and 3494 Library Sharing
From: Tectrade Computers <Alex.Fagioli AT TECTRADE.CO DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 08:41:15 +0000
Hi Bill

Thanks for the response it is very helpful, my next question is that when I
use the VOLRANGE parameter must it always be the entire range of tapes. And
when this is done does this completely discount the other tapes from being
included in the others checkin procedure.

and they are attached through dual brocade switches.

Thanks

Alex

                    William Boyer
                    <[email protected]        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    ET>                  cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: TSM and 3494 Library
Sharing
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    08/02/2001
                    17:15
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

You need to make sure that your CHECKIN commands on each server use the
VOLRANGE parameter. When you put tapes in the 3494, they are placed in the
insertion catagory and the first 'host' to grab them get them. So you could
possibly checkin serverA's tapes in for serverB and write over good data.

For my AIX TSM Server, I create a server script that has the CHECKIN
command
with all my parameters. I then schedule this in an admin schedule to run
daily after I know the operators have done tape rotation. TSM won't let you
actually schedule a checkin command, but you can imbed it in a script and
schedule the script. Also, this is the only command I run to manually check
tapes in...RUN CHECKIN (CHECKIN is my script name). This way I make sure
that I'm not going to checkin some other servers' tapes.

We use a naming convention for out tape volsers. R00000-R99999 is for the
AIX server, and M00000-M99999 is for our OS/390 systems.

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.