ADSM-L

Re: TSM and 3494 Library Sharing

2001-02-08 12:14:46
Subject: Re: TSM and 3494 Library Sharing
From: William Boyer <wboyer AT PTD DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 12:15:55 -0500
You need to make sure that your CHECKIN commands on each server use the
VOLRANGE parameter. When you put tapes in the 3494, they are placed in the
insertion catagory and the first 'host' to grab them get them. So you could
possibly checkin serverA's tapes in for serverB and write over good data.

For my AIX TSM Server, I create a server script that has the CHECKIN command
with all my parameters. I then schedule this in an admin schedule to run
daily after I know the operators have done tape rotation. TSM won't let you
actually schedule a checkin command, but you can imbed it in a script and
schedule the script. Also, this is the only command I run to manually check
tapes in...RUN CHECKIN (CHECKIN is my script name). This way I make sure
that I'm not going to checkin some other servers' tapes.

We use a naming convention for out tape volsers. R00000-R99999 is for the
AIX server, and M00000-M99999 is for our OS/390 systems.

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.