ADSM-L

Re: Questions about HSM

2001-02-08 05:40:25
Subject: Re: Questions about HSM
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 09:37:16 +0100
> I have a few questions about HSM. Probably someone can help me?
>
> 1. The HSM manual states that if the migrated files and the backup of these
> files go to the same server the server can backup the files from the
> migrated data. In my opinion this involves a copy of data. I never observed
> such an activity on my server. On the other hand, according to the q occ
> command, spacemanaged data is approxmiately the same amount as backup data.
> Backup data contains many more files, probably because it contains
> directories, too. Backup is not required before migration. How is the copy
> done? How does ADSM know the data goes to the same server? When is set HSM
> up I thought it would be more flexible to use 2 server stanzas for the same
> server.

This is APAR IC29303. I was really hurt by this, because due to an incident
all backups of our main HSM file system had been expired and had to be
backed up again. All 460 GB were unnecessarily recalled!

Back in ADSM 3.1 times, I have seen this feature working as documented.
(If I remember correctly, this server internal copy did not show up as
a process, but there where two tapes mounted and active even when there
were no other activities.)

> 2. I will have to move HSM to a new system. Fortunately, I can take the RAID
> the spacemanaged filesystems resides on to the new system. Has anyone tried
> this? Which steps are necessary?  The old and the new system are RS/6000
> with AIX. On the old system the client is level 3.1.0.7, on the new system I
> will use TSM 4.1.

Did not try that, but you would probably want to take the
/etc/adsm/SpaceMan/config/dsmmigfstab to the new system. But you
have a problem then: The format of that file has changed between 3.1
and 3.7: A new column has been added.

It would probably be easiest to start with 3.1.0.7 on the new system,
import the HSM file system, and upgrade afterwards. The upgrade should
adopt the dsmmigfstab. (During an upgrade to 3.7 I tried last year, the
dsmmigfstab was NOT adopted. This prevented dsmautomig to start, it core
dumped. See APAR IC28935.)

If you want to start directly with 4.1, you would have to add a '-' at the
end of each line in the dsmmigfstab using your favorit editor.

--
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet