ADSM-L

Re: Which client version is best for a Win2000-server ?

2001-01-31 09:01:43
Subject: Re: Which client version is best for a Win2000-server ?
From: Lisa Cabanas <CABANL AT MAIL.MODOT.STATE.MO DOT US>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 08:06:07 -0600
I am just a little confused (okay- it's perpertual...)

Wanda & Tim, I only have to worry about RSM problems if the TSM server is NT/2K?
(Isn't RSM a service that runs on the NT/2k platform only?)

With an AIX TSM server at 3.7.4.0, the "only" problems I would have with going
4.1.2.X client code on NT/2K would be the inclexcl problem, the problem with
silent installs not distributing the custom dsm.opt file  (apar IC29440),
incorrect return codes for events that actually fail, and compression?

Geesh, after all that, wouldn't it be safer to go 3.7.2.17 client level??

thank
lisa

|--------+------------------------------>
|        |          "Rushforth, Tim"    |
|        |          <[email protected]|
|        |          PEG.MB.CA>          |
|        |                              |
|        |          01/30/2001 03:07 PM |
|        |          Please respond to   |
|        |          "ADSM: Dist Stor    |
|        |          Manager"            |
|        |                              |
|--------+------------------------------>
  |       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

  |       cc:     (bcc: Lisa Cabanas/SC/MODOT)                                 |
  |       Subject:     Re: Which client version is best for a Win2000-server ? |

Excellent list Wanda.  I will add:

One problem with failed schedules showing up as completed successfully is
fixed in 4.12.  Not sure if this is the same one you mention for RSM.  We
have experienced this on 3.7 and 4.1 - an example is Server out of Storage
Space, - schedules show as completed successfully.  I believe this applies
to all platforms.  Try this out, if the schedule shows as completed
successfully you had better be checking the local schedule and error logs.

4.11
 - APAR IC27728 - if backing up with compression=yes and compressalways=no,
the backup of system ojbects is not complete. Bypass - use compressalways=no
if using compression.

4.12
 - APAR IC29368 - User Abort on Backup (all 4.12 clients)
 - Client displays User Abort when error detected instead of displaying
proper error message, it is sometimes easy to determine what the real error
is, somtimes not so easy.
 - APAR IC29356 - Different number of system ojbects backed up via web
client than GUI or cmd line, pretty minor but make sure you don't rely on a
backup of the System Objects made with the Web Client.

Just started doing some "Bare Metal Restores" of W2K with 4.12 client, have
experineced Dr. Watson errors when restoring System Objects, appears related
to RSM. Dsmerror log shows - NTRestoreRsmDB(): error importing the RSM
database files.  Win32 RC=4312.  The backup of the RSM database did run
successfully.

Tim Rushforth
City of Winnipeg