ADSM-L

buta/butc AFS backups on *SM

2001-01-31 07:13:41
Subject: buta/butc AFS backups on *SM
From: "Shalev, Jonathan" <jonathan.shalev AT INTEL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 04:13:33 -0800
Hi *SMers,

This message is intended for those with AFS experience.

We are on ADSM 3.1.2.50 (moving to TSM 4.1.x shortly). Most of our backed up
data (multiple terabytes) is AFS data, and we are doing volume level backups
with AFS buta/backup. Our AFS fileservers are running AFS versions 3.4, 3.5
and 3.6, but the backups (and restores) are all using buta version 3.4.

I am thinking about moving from buta (from AFS version 3.4)  to butc (AFS
version 3.6), since buta is not supported on AFS 3.6. However from the
testing I have done, they are not compatible (data backed up with buta 3.4
cannot be restored with butc 3.6 (or even with buta 3.5)).

This means that until all fileservers are on AFS 3.6 and all buta data is
expired, I would need two restore mechanisms, one for buta and one for butc.

I would also need two expiry mechanisms, delbuta for buta, and backup
deletedump for butc.

Has anyone been there/done that?
I subscribe to the digest, so a "cc" of any reply, to
<Jonathan.Shalev AT intel DOT com> would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan  Shalev
IDC Computing / Systems Engineering
UNIX Server Platforms
Intel Israel (74) Ltd.
Jonathan.Shalev AT intel DOT com
Phone: +972-4-865-6588, Fax: +972-4-865-5999