ADSM-L

Converting TSM Platforms

2001-01-30 19:34:42
Subject: Converting TSM Platforms
From: Brecton Whitten <bwhitten AT UABMC DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 18:35:58 -0600
*SM admins,

  We are currently planning to move our TSM
server from a 604e high node in an SP2 complex
to an H50 standalone. Both platforms have the same
number of CPU's and amount of memory ( 2 G ). The
big difference being MCA vs. PCI. We are on TSM 3.7.4
and are going to move up to TSM 4.1.2 ( AIX 4.3.3 ).

  From combing the postings it appears that our best ( only ? )
choice for this migration is to export each node to tape then
import on the new platform. The problem we will have with
this is that we only have 2 3590 drives native attached in a
3494. We will have to export everything , disconnect the drives,
re-connect to the new platform, and then import. Our data is all
on tapes, we don't have enough DASD to keep more than 1
days data on disk ( therefore we also don't have enough to export
to FILE ). If anyone has any input or 'gotchas' , I would much
appreciate hearing from you.

                                                           Thanks,
                                                           Brec Whitten
                                                           UAB Hospital