ADSM-L

Re: Can Mac clients restore ?????

2001-01-26 02:25:43
Subject: Re: Can Mac clients restore ?????
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 08:27:53 +0100
Gretchen L. Thiele writes:
 > The short answer appears to be "not very well".
 >
 > We've had a myriad of problems with our Mac clients. First
 > the scheduler and now the inability to restore folders.
 > Granted, we are running ADSM v3.1.2.5x on VM, but support
 > assured me that v3.7 and even v4.1 clients would work
 > (new features, of course, not available). We're stuck
 > with v3.1.0.8 if we wish to backup and restore folders.
 > If we went to v3.7.2 and tried to restore folders (files
 > seemed to work fine, but try to restore an entire
 > Mac by selecting each file individually!), it bombed;
 > a new backup with v3.7 and the same thing happened. Likewise
 > with v4.1.2. Our Mac community (over 1200 of them) needs
 > v4.1 for the scheduler and OS 9.0.4 support.
 >
 > We *are* going to AIX and v4.1, but the transition doesn't
 > happen over night (I have 6,500 accounts left to move
 > before March 2002), and Macs are very important to us.
 > Testing on AIX with Macintosh clients is going 'ok' so
 > far, but I'm not holding my breath...

That surprises me. We *are* at AIX and V4.1 on the server side and
*are* seeing the problems you described above.

Given the fact, that support for ADSM 3.1 ceases soon and that the
combination 3.1 client / 4.1 server is not supported anyway, we are
facing the situation, that a working Mac client does not exist!

--
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet