ADSM-L

Tivoli 4.1 Best Practises

2001-01-22 09:02:58
Subject: Tivoli 4.1 Best Practises
From: MORGAN TONY <TONY.MORGAN AT FORTISBANK DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:35:19 +0100
Hello,

As a new Tivoli convert (ex-Arcserve), I need to gain TSM 4.1 knowledge
rapidly.

Does anyone know of a paper, or similar, that describes TSM Best Working
Practises that usually come from years of experience, or more often painful
mistakes.  (Have you written one?)  The Technical Guide is great, but not
"real world" enough.

The kind of info I'm thinking of is; pro's/con's of using Named Pipes for
Tivoli backups, Network tuning for backups (window sizes, etc), adding
quality to DSM.OPT and DSMSERV.OPT files, known gotcha's, etc...

    ... Anyone who knows "Tapesys" (VMS) will be aware of how useful this
information can be.

I have tried Redbooks, ADSM, Tivoli manuals and even paid for a consultant
(who has gone missing!!!), but still I feel that I should be doing more.

My Tivoli "family" comprises of 2 servers and 32 clients at present, all
running NT4.0 mainly SP6a.

Rgds

Tony Morgan
Technical Analyst