ADSM-L

Cost of select media vs volumes

2001-01-19 14:38:42
Subject: Cost of select media vs volumes
From: Kai G Hintze <Hintze.Kai AT AMSTR DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 12:40:00 -0700
Greetings, Oh Massed Experience and Intellect!

Which costs more, select from media or select from volumes? Or are they
similar enough to flip a coin? I am trying to write a script in which I need
to know which storage pool a given tape belongs to. Looking at the list of
columns, it looks like I can

select stgpool_name from volumes where volume_name='$volume_name'

or

select stgpool_name from media where volume_name='$volume_name'

When I run both commands alone, select from media seems to return a quarter
second faster, but that is pretty skimpy evidence.... timex says it depends on
cached data....

I'll use select from media unless there is a better way.

Platform is ADSM 3.1.2.20 on AIX 4.?

TIA,
Kai.