ADSM-L

Re: 64-bit

2001-01-18 10:10:53
Subject: Re: 64-bit
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 10:12:13 -0500
I have one gotcha not related to *SM specifically.  A few months ago we had a
32bit AIX 4.3 system we did mksysb on and restored it on a 64 bit machine.  The
only problem was if you are using NFS.

There is a known problem at IBM with this in that NFS won't work.  You have to
stop the NFS daemons, delete the NFS files like /etc/xtab, /etc/exports ... and
then restart NFS and create exports again.  Maybe they have a APAR fix by now.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc. I/T
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5525
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> JWu AT NCTR.FDA DOT GOV 01/18/01 09:39AM >>>
        We will get a new F80 server to replace our old MCA TSM server. The
F80 has 64-bit architecture and we would like to have a 64-bit kernel for
better performance. I am thinking (1) if cloning the MCA server to the F80
will work, (2) if we later enable 64-bit kernal, will it cause trouble on
TSM?

        If anybody has done similar cloning using 'mksysb' or 'sysback',
could you share your experience? Thanks.

        Jie