ADSM-L

Re: Restoring a 3.7.3 database to a 4.1.2 server

2001-01-15 09:44:29
Subject: Re: Restoring a 3.7.3 database to a 4.1.2 server
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:42:19 -0500
>...Our method of upgrading has always been to install the new
>version on a new machine, test it thoroughly, then to backup the DB on the old
>machine and restore it on the new one.  This has the _enormous_ advantage that
>if anything goes wrong, we have only to turn the old machine back on and we're
>in business again, with a minimal loss of time.

John - Proceeding carefully on a new machine is an excellent approach.
       Given that the approach requires the same amount of db,log space on
both systems, an alternative to TSM db backup/restore would be to configure
the db,log space on the two systems to be equivalent, and then do a physical
copy of the db,log space to the other system, where the dsmserv start-up on
the new machine will upgrade the db.  This should be much faster than a
logical db backup/restore, and a 3.7 CD would not be an issue.
   Richard Sims, BU