ADSM-L

AW: AW: how to speed up NT restore?

2001-01-09 03:39:09
Subject: AW: AW: how to speed up NT restore?
From: Stefan Holzwarth <stefan.holzwarth AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 09:39:45 +0100
Thank you for reply!

We have the following situation:

Server TSM 3.7 @ MVS with 8 3590 Tapes and 80 GB Primary Storagepool, ATM
60 Clients (all NT4) with TSM 3.x and some big NT Servers with 2 or 3 100 GB
Volumes
and a lot of files on them. All over dedicated Tokenring into ATM backbone

A testrestore (compression off) of a single filespace(volume) uses only one
tape
(collocation on at filespace-level, reclaim 80%)and shows poor performance.
Most of the time the 2 MB/sec limit of Tokenring isn't touched.
Server CPU first 15 minutes very busy after that lazy.
Restore speed over all under 1 MB/sec.

Therefore we speak of a manageability of maximum 100 GB (~24 h restore time)
per filespace.
Now we intend to migrate to Netapp Toasters over Gigabit Ethernet.

What restoretimes can we expect? What can we improve?

With Regards
Stefan Holzwarth