ADSM-L

Re: Registry excluded by 4.1.2 client

2001-01-03 17:15:49
Subject: Re: Registry excluded by 4.1.2 client
From: Jim Smith <Jim_Smith AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 14:15:54 -0800
Dave,

This is correct.  In TSM 4.1.2 client, we are using the hivelist from
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\hivelist to get the list of registry
keys that are needed to process during backup; the names in the staging
directories are constructed from the data names + values located in this
key.   Hopefully, these new names can aid the user who is using the
resource kit to selectively activate keys during restore.

The upcoming redbook on Windows 2000 backup/recovery does walk through the
include/exclude list and makes a new set of recommendations based on these
changes.  You are doing the absolutely safest thing, putting an include for
the staging directory (c:\adsm.sys) at the end of the statements.  (Note
that these will also be included in the backup of the C: drive as well as
the system objects; there is currently no way to avoid this).  The redbook
also adds several system files which are safe to exclude from normal
incremental processing.

We are continually trying to improve our include/exclude processing so that
the users will not have to worry about the system files and the adsm
staging directories. In the future, we plan on taking these additional
steps with the client:

1.  honor the FilesNotToBackup key.  This key has a list, by MS component,
of files that each component has determined to be volatile, e.g.
pagefile.sys.  You can see this list in
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup.  This
would allow TSM to automatically reduce redundant backups, e.g., backing up
c:\winnt\ntds as part of the C: backup and the Active Directory backup.
2.  automatically exclude the staging directory from the C: backup (but
including it in the system object backup).  Also, the system objects would
ignore any incl/excl statements (theoretically, the system objects must be
processed as entire entities).  This would alleviate users from accidently
excluding important system files.

We are open for any other suggestions to help automate in the
include/exclude of system files.

Thanks,
Jim Smith
TSM client development