ADSM-L

Backup of files in TSM-HSM

2000-12-27 12:55:16
Subject: Backup of files in TSM-HSM
From: Per Ekman <pek AT PDC.KTH DOT SE>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 18:40:46 +0100
Hello,

I'm wondering if there is any canonical way of taking backups of
metadata in a TSM-HSM managed filesystem (that is non-migrated data
such as directories, links and small files) under AIX. What I would
like to accomplish is to have each file, migrated or not, stored on
two tapes.  As I understand it, if I backup the HSM filesystem using
the TSM backup client I'll get a backup of all files. Since I want
duplicates of the unmigrated files I'll have to backup the copy
pool, but this means that I'll get three copies of migrated files,
one in the migration destination pool and two in the backup pools.
This is not ideal when you throw a couple of TB of data into you
HSM system.

Coming from the DMF camp my instinct is to look for an option to the
backup client to make it backup only nonmigrated files but I guess
there might be some more obscure way of doing it.

Deactivating the HSM client and taking a regular backup of the
filesystem would probably do what I want but it's not a very
attractive solution.

/Per Ekman