ADSM-L

Re: AS400 Performance problems

2000-12-20 01:27:07
Subject: Re: AS400 Performance problems
From: "Mark S." <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 00:26:50 -0600
Reiner Sauer wrote:
> we had an as400 mod. 170 and tsm V3 client . Tsm server is AIX 4.11. We have
> 600 Kb/s transfer rate to the server instead of 3000 - 4000 Kb/s as the other
> systems have (novell, solaris or aix). The backup tool is BRMS with tsm
> client option.
>
> Did everybody knows such problems and what can we do ?

<grim laughter>

There is a well-known throughput bottleneck with BRMS. (600Kb/s is
actually quite a respectable figure for BRMS.) This has existed for
quite some time and appears to be unfixable.

You have a couple of options. There are third-party packages that will
allow AS/400s to communicate with TSM. You can also choose to ftp AS/400
files to a non-AS/400 platform such as an RS/6000, and backing those up.

--
Mark Stapleton (stapleto AT berbee DOT com)
Mark Stapleton (stapleto AT berbee DOT com)