ADSM-L

Re: HSM disaster: all backups expired

2000-12-13 09:43:42
Subject: Re: HSM disaster: all backups expired
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:44:36 +0100
Richard Sims writes:
 > >last weekend, the backup of our biggest HSM filesystem (AIX 4.3.2,
 > >ADSM 3.1.0.8) expired all files !!!
 >
 > Reinhard - My sympathies on that ugly problem.  It superficially sounds

thanks

 >            as though the file system was not mounted, such that the
 > backup found just the empty mount point directory and worked that.

It looks like that, but there is absolutely no indication pointing in
that direction.

 > I would hope it not the case that HSM asked for file system info for
 > the backup and, because of a file system problem at the time, got none,
 > and kept going.

I fear, that this is actually the case.

 >                 The backup log from that time may provide clues.

No. When backup started, it immediately began expiring the files.

 > The EINTR errno on statfs() is not a documented errno for that system
 > call, so its meaning in that context is undefined.  I have not experienced
 > it in my experience with programs utilizing statfs().
 >
 > Looks like you're stuck having to perform a complete backup again.
 > Something peculiar transpired in your system during that time.
 > Perhaps the AIX Error Log will have info on it, or the dsmreconcile
 > or dsmautomig logs will reflect some conditions.

No.

 > If no AIX reboot occurred since that time, I wonder if vestiges of
 > the condition linger, and may be affecting your backup processing now.

I did a reboot today, after installing TSM 4.1.

 > >- The new backup process is now recalling all files, although I expected
 > >  it to simply make a copy within the TSM server. Why? ("Migration
 > >  Requires Backup?" is set to "No".)
 >
 > With the HSM and backup storage pools within the same server, backup
 > is *supposed* to copy the data within the server, without recalling
 > it to the client file system.  (If the data has not yet been migrated,
 > or is premigrated, backup will occur from the filesystem copy of the
 > file.)  Files marked for read-without-recall will be backed up through
 > the client in that manner; but files have to be individually marked
 > that way, and I doubt that it applies in your case.

With the new client software and after rebooting the machine, the situation
has not changed. Files to be backed up are still recalled.

I have seen the correct behaviour (backup without recall) some time ago.
The server was ADSM 3.1 then, now it is TSM 4.1; perhaps that makes the
difference. A note in the HSM guide makes me nervous:
    "If you migrate and back up data to tape, use separate tape
     drives for backup and migrated data."

I hope, this does not mean, that I have to define different libraries
for backup and HSM usage. This would not make any sense to me, but
somewhat makes me sceptic ...

Anyway, I have opened problems on these two matters. Let's see what
comes out of it.

Regards,

Reinhard

--
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet