ADSM-L

Re: tape drive needs cleaning

2000-12-11 12:38:26
Subject: Re: tape drive needs cleaning
From: "Williams, Tim" <Tim.Williams AT FRITOLAY DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:31:16 -0600
        Hi. Bothersome, but normal.

        Gerald Wichmann <gwichmann AT SANSIA DOT NET>
        12/11/2000 11:22 AM
<ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>@SMTP@Exchange
        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU@SMTP@Exchange
        cc:

        Subject:        tape drive needs cleaning

        We have an ibm h70 running aix 4.3.3 and TSM 3.7.3. It s hooked up
to an ibm
        3494 with two magstar 3590 drives. A month ago we saw some tape
drive needs
        cleaning messages in the aix error report. They repeated today..

        IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP  T C RESOURCE_NAME  DESCRIPTION
        E507DCF9   1210101500 I H rmt1           TAPE DRIVE NEEDS CLEANING
        D1A1AE6F   1210101500 I H rmt1           TAPE SIM/MIM RECORD

        I m wondering if this is normal? To my knowledge the 3494 should be
cleaning
        itself as it does have cleaning tapes and is all configured to do so
        automatically.

        Gerald Wichmann
        Systems Engineer
        Sansia System Solutions