ADSM-L

Re: NT Recovery: Boot Disks?

2000-12-01 15:06:41
Subject: Re: NT Recovery: Boot Disks?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 15:08:46 -0500
I don't think you can even do it with FAT, because if you are booted to DOS
you have no long file-name support.
The original bare-metal recovery Redbook from IBM had instructions for
something I think they called "tunneling", which would let you do a recovery
without long file-name support.

But it is so messy and requires so many steps, it is much worse than just
installing a new copy of NT, in my opinion.

Instead of avoiding it, look at ways to make it faster, such as using a
product like Ghost to lay down an already-prepared bootable NT disk....

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert