ADSM-L

Re: DIRMC - disadvantages only?

2000-11-27 16:24:10
Subject: Re: DIRMC - disadvantages only?
From: "France, Don G (Pace)" <don.france-eds AT EDS DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:24:29 -0800
As with any OS that's capable, AIX and NT both allow ACL's and long paths;
I think TSM database has room for 160 bytes, then (if exceeded) goes to
storage pool.  They are more prevalent in our NT systems, probably because
our AIX is predominantly used as the TSM server platform (so its security
structures and file systems tend to be more simply defined than a system
being used as a file & print server).

You can see this in action if you query the node's filespaces after
generating backup data;  the list reveals what storage pool holds how many
files, etc. Also, making the DIRMC pool small (say, 5 MB) and giving it no
migration pool may reveal the following problem...

BTW, last time I checked, there was still a problem with allocating space;
the server wants to pre-allocate transaction space for "clumps" of data, so
requests enough storage pool space to hold the maxtransbytes (TXNGroupmax) -
if that's not available, the transaction will fail (even though it will not
use the requested MB, that might be what it requests... so, I just allocate
500 MB for the DIRMC primary (on disk) storage pool.  If that still causes
transaction failure (due to config parms asking for large "clumps")  a
simple-minded work-around is to define a migration storage pool that has
lots of space available.

Don France

Technical Architect - Unix Engineering/P.A.C.E.
San Jose, CA
mailto:dfrance AT pacbell DOT net
PACE - http://www.pacepros.com