ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and DB2

2000-11-21 20:21:13
Subject: Re: ADSM and DB2
From: Gyula Bereczky <bx AT MAIL.DATATRANS DOT HU>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 02:20:42 +0100
On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 12:22:17PM -0500, Jim Kirkman wrote:
> "Using ADSM to Back up Databases" refers to DB2/2 and DB2/6000. One is
> obviously for the RS6000 platform, the other makes reference to Intel
> platforms but refers to OS/2 commands. (I did find a matrix that references
> NT and OS/2 for DB2/2 v2). Should I be looking elsewhere for UDB on NT? Or
> should I be asking if Universal DB2 and DB2/2 are different beasts?
DB2 is IBM's database manager product. There are many names for it, but
basicaly it is the same product. It's name has been changed to Universal
Database Manager ( UDB ) from version 5, but still the same product :)
Oh well, it has been enhanced quite a bit :) For example working *SM
support was added :)
db2 for rs/6000 -> db2/6000, db2 for os2 -> db2/2 or db/2 or db2,
db2 for nt -> db/2 or db2, but now it's all gone. We have UDB and everybody
is happy :>>

> The redbook "Managing VLDB using DB2 UDB EEE" seems specific to AIX.
I was not refering to redbooks, but the udb/db2 for nt administration
guide, which comes with udb/db2. But redbooks are good. Even if they
seem to be platform specific, you need to apply the same pattern on each
platform. ie.

1. install db2

2. install adsm/tsm _api_ client ( version 3 or higher for udb )

3. set the enviroment variables to point to your *sm installation
( this is described in the udb admin guide )

4. configure dsm.opt ( for non unix platforms )
( this is described in *sm client manuals )

5. configure your database for *sm, see "db2 get db cfg for <dbname>", and
check/set your *sm variables.
( they are adsm_* in udb 6, but tsm_* in udb 7 IIRC )

6. make sure you understand db2adutl
( 5. and 6. can be found in the udb admin guide )

7. enjoy

Oh. And don't forget to set up the management class for your backups as it is
described in the redbooks... :)

Hope this helps.
--
                        bx
                        bx

"Using vim will surely improve ones computer skills."