ADSM-L

ADSM/BACKINT/SAP

2000-11-13 10:55:04
Subject: ADSM/BACKINT/SAP
From: "Jennings, Andre" <ajennings AT CROWNCRAFTS DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 10:54:10 -0500
I have quite a few ADSM/BACKINT questions:

Situation:  First off, I have no experience with ADSM.  That said, we are
recovering an SAP R/3 40B/Oracle system.  Our backup system is ADSM.  I have
the ADSM database Tape and the SAP Offline backup Tapes.  I installed ADSM
and, with the help of many, configured it to the point where I was able to
import the ADSM database and recognize the tapes, configure the manual
libraries and such.

All these *.opt files are very confusing.  Don't know which ones go to what.
There seems to be some *.opt file in every adsm/backint directory.  I'm used
to SAP's BRBACKUP and am fully knowledgeable of its use.  The Backint and
ADSM issues have me at a standstill.  I'm trying to get this system restored
ASAP

Questions:
Questions:

What ADSM components need to be setup if the SAP system, the ADSM server and
Client are all the same machine? (no system will be backed up at all)

How can I test that the ADSM server and Client are completely setup? (aside
from BACKINT and SAP's connectivity)

After ADSM is correctly configured, how can I test that the BACKINT piece is
completely setup?

After BACKINT, how can I test that the SAP backup software can connect to
BACKINT and at least show me the header on the tape in sapdba?

Being that I am not backing up anything, do I even need to be setup as a
client at all?

I'm only going to be using ADSM to restore this system.  Do I even need the
scheduler running at all?

If my production ADSM server is one machine and I am restoring the ADSM
database to another ADSM server and restoring the SAP database from there,
what additional configuration changes are necessary to facilitate this.

What is the nodename?  Is it the host name of the production ADSM Server
machine?  If the original ADSM server is different what is the nodename?
Where does the setting go?  And now that I'm combining the ADSM server, and
the SAP server what setting changes are there?  Is the nodename the same
name in all these *.opt and *.utl files?
As you can see, I do have some questions.  Sorry to lengthy.  I know I have
As you can see, I do have some questions.  Sorry to lengthy.  I know I have
my work cut out for me and I won't stop till I get this done right.  Any
suggestions or comments would really really be helpful.

Andre' Jennings
SAP R/3 Basis/Security Engineer
Crown Crafts, Inc. - Atlanta
(770) 644-6456