ADSM-L

Re: SQL restore question

2000-11-08 10:58:27
Subject: Re: SQL restore question
From: Brian Nick <BRIAN_NICK AT PHL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 10:57:57 -0500
John,

 Thanks for the info. and I'll look into the client sched log and the
server activity log. As far as your question regarding unload and reload
our DB is 21gb but we also question the performance of this function. We
were waiting for someone else to be brave enough to attempt this.

 Sorry I couldn't be more help and thanks again for your insight on my SQL
question.

 Thanks,
    Brian

Brian L. Nick
System Programmer - Storage Solutions
Phoenix Home Life Mutual Ins.
100 Bright Meadow Blvd
Enfield CT. 06082-1900

E-MAIL:  Brian_Nick AT PHL DOT COM
PHONE:   (860)403-2281

                    John Naylor
                    <John.Naylor@SCOTTISH-SOUTH        To:     ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    ERN.CO.UK>                         cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor          Subject:     Re: SQL
restore question
                    Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

                    11/08/2000 10:44 AM
                    Please respond to "ADSM:
                    Dist Stor Manager"

Brian,
Have you got a perform trace set on the client.
If you have,  the Final Detailed Instrumentation statistics will give you a
breakdown
of where the time is being spent.
If not then the session stats either from the client schedule log or from a
query active on the
os390 server will give some info.
The data transfer time is basically the time not spent on the client, ie.
in the
network and on the
host tsm accessing the database and reading the data from the tape or disk.
The rest of the elapsed time is going to be time spent on the client mainly
in
writing out the data
This should at least give you a better idea where you need to look to
improve
the performance
 By the way I see you are an OS390  TSM 3.7.2 shop.
Any thoughts on my unload/reload question
John

Brian Nick <BRIAN_NICK AT PHL DOT COM> on 11/08/2000 02:46:01 PM