ADSM-L

Configuring dsm.sys and dsm.opt for multiple clients on one host

2000-11-07 14:44:47
Subject: Configuring dsm.sys and dsm.opt for multiple clients on one host
From: Herb Girard/CanWest/IBM <herb AT CA.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 11:26:53 -0800
Our environment includes an AIX/HACMP cluster.  Some disks are shared,
non-concurrently, by the active and standby hosts. We have configured three
TSM client nodes, one permanently on each host to back up its non-shared
disks, and a third that runs on whichever host is accessing the shared
disks.

In order to do this, we need separate include/exclude lists for the nodes,
which requires separate dsm.sys files.  The TSM 3.7 "Installing the
clients" manual (p.34)  says "Do not put any user created files into
/usr/tivoli/tsm/clients/ba/bin, the directory into which the TSM product is
installed.... Include-exclude files, dsm.opt and dsm.sys files should not
reside in this directory". Later on (p.48) the same manual says that the
DSM_DIR environmnet variable must "point  to the executable file dsmtca,
the resource files, and the dsm.sys file. ... If DSM_DIR is not set, the
executables are expected in the default installation directory."  Sounded
to me like you can;t get there from here.

Our solution was to make a copy of  /usr/tivoli/tsm/clients/ba/bin, put the
second client's dsm.sys and dsm.opt files in there and point to it with
DSM_DIR and DSM_CONFIG.  This works but seems kind of clumsy.  Has anyone
else encountered this problem and found a more elegant solution?

Thanks, Herb

ITSD (250) 952-6649
IBM: (250) 380-5483
FAX: (250) 380-5427