ADSM-L

Re: Novel server backup problem

2000-11-07 11:02:47
Subject: Re: Novel server backup problem
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 11:01:37 -0500
>Well, it's currently set at 10 minutes:
>
>COMMTimeout 600
>
>What do you think? I would think 10 minutes is more than adaquate to
>expect a response from the client. The thing is that it is only this
>client and other Novel servers are similarly sized.

Larry - The COMMTimeout and IDLETimeout values need to be high to
        give the clients time to rummage around in their file
systems before finding the next file to back up.
I found that I had to boost my COMMTimeout to 3600 and my
IDLETimeout to 60.  Clients vary in their CPU power, disk speeds,
file complements, current workloads, etc. and the server parameters
need to accommodate the slowest of them, rather than cut them off.
   Richard Sims, BU