ADSM-L

Re: Estimated Capacity

2000-11-07 09:03:33
Subject: Re: Estimated Capacity
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 09:03:24 -0500
On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Jacques Butcher wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what the estimated capacity (estcap parameter on the
> device class level) of an IBM 3570 library with two 3570E drives on an
> AS/400 should be?

I think you probably mean 3570-C drives?  Actually, the difference between
3570-B and 3570-C drives is in speed only.  With standard B/C format
tapes, the native capacity is 5GB.  With XL tapes, that increases to 7GB.
How much you actually get on each tape depends on the degree of
compressability of the data.  On my 358 full B/C tapes, I am averaging
12.5GB/tape.  IBM advertises 3:1 compression.

To determine the estimated capacity of the library, obviously multiple the
average capacity per tape times the number of tape cells.

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
ADSM Administrator
(tkssteve AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564 |
http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)