ADSM-L

3590 and 8mm Win NT/2000 Client Backup Sets

2015-10-04 17:26:31
Subject: 3590 and 8mm Win NT/2000 Client Backup Sets
From: Ishmael Isaacs [mailto:adsml AT ONEBOX DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Does anyone know if the Win NT/2000 client can restore from a backup
set that was created on a 3590 tape or an 8mm tape?  The TSM server platform
is AIX.

I know that I can install the drivers for 3590 tape drives on Win NT,
but I don't know if the TSM NT Client can use a 3590 backup set.

The TSM 3.7 Technical Guides states "At this time, all backup-archive
clients support the restoration of a backup set through a file device
class.  Only AIX can support the mounting of tape volume to restore a
backup set with 8mm devices."

The Tivoli web site
(http://www.tivoli.com/products/index/storage_mgr/storage_mgr_concepts.html)
,
however, states that "In addition, for the Windows 2000, Windows NT,
AIX, Sun Solaris (32-bit) and HP-UX backup-archive clients, the backup
sets can be copied to tape devices."

The question is WHICH tape devices?  Can anyone point me to where I can
find the "official" answer to this question?

Thanks!

--
Ishmael Isaacs
Ishmael Isaacs