ADSM-L

Re: Restore Sun Solaris from scratch

2000-11-01 19:47:13
Subject: Re: Restore Sun Solaris from scratch
From: "Walker, Lesley R" <lesley.walker AT EDS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 13:45:56 +1300
I am also interested in answers to this, as it is something I will
eventually have to address too.

Obviously you cannot restore without installing the OS to run the client,
and having the right filesystem layout to restore into.

This means that there are two basic options:

1. install the OS to a different disk, set up the filesystems, and then you
   have to know how to restore to a different location (because the
   filesystems will not be mounted with their normal names)

2. identify which OS files you cannot safely restore while the OS is
   running, and exclude them from backup.

There could be variations on #1, such as creating a boot CD with the OS and
client on it.

With regard to #2, does anyone have a list of such files?