ADSM-L

Re: Restore Sun Solaris from scratch

2000-11-01 18:54:12
Subject: Re: Restore Sun Solaris from scratch
From: "France, Don G (Pace)" <don.france-eds AT EDS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 15:53:25 -0800
We have two schools-of-thought in use by our shop:
using ADSMPIPE, re-direct "ufsdump" or "dd" to TSM storage --- currently,
we have this in place for about 30+ machines;  the OS file systems are the
only ones handled this way;  full system recovery starts with the OS,
redefine the remaining physical and logical disk structures (partitions &
file systems, VFS configuration, etc.), restore OS, then restore the rest of
the system per dba design.
using standard, flat-file (daily, full-incr) of the OS (and file-served)
file systems in concert with a machine-type specific jump-start CD (built by
a Sun professional services team);  we have 3 E10K's (with 12 domains) plus
about 20 E420's being protected this way.  This is a new environment, and
the Unix admin. Team is looking at deploying the LFS-image (in TSM) or
ADSMPIPE approach.
Both methods are in place, and have been tested;  I don't know the exact
details of audited-test results... we like the ADSMPIPE scenario for its
restore speed with the fewest tape mounts (of course), but flat-file works
fine, as well.  Besides, the largest workload in restoring a system is the
data base & application data... not part of your question.  (The OS piece is
strategically critical, but is less than 10% of the data being restored!)

BTW, we protect our AIX rootvg using mksysb tapes on a daily rotation;  we
protect Win2k and WinNT using a "standard image" CD, with scripts that run
almost-unattended re-install followed by TSM full system restore for
recovery, similar to the Redbook examples.

Hope this helps.

Don France

Technical Architect - Unix Engineering/P.A.C.E.
San Jose, CA
mailto:dfrance AT pacbell DOT net
PACE - http://www.pacepros.com