ADSM-L

Re: DLT Drive Upgrade

2000-11-01 15:18:44
Subject: Re: DLT Drive Upgrade
From: Paul Zarnowski <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 15:17:49 -0500
At 02:35 PM 11/1/2000 -0500, Palmadesso Jack wrote:
This library is also single-ended not differential.  I am not a SCSI expert
so I am wondering why you would not just leave the library in single-ended
mode instead of changing all of its guts to work with differential.  What is
the gain other than the distance you can run your cable?  Breece Hill still
offers both models and I was planning on staying single-ended.  Although I
am always open to changes for the better:)

You should check with Breece Hill, or whoever you would purchase the
upgrade from.  As I recall (and this was several years ago!), the reason
that the library had to be upgraded is that the library communicates with
the drives in some way that required something other than just the drives
to be upgraded.  All I know is that when we purchased the library with
DLT4000 drives, I had the idea in the back of my mind that we could someday
upgrade the drives to increase the capacity of the library, but when it
came time to actually do this, it did not pan out like I thought it would.

From what I am getting about the new media is that first I need to define a
new device class and specify "drives" for the format to get the maximum
capacity out of the media.  Also that data written on filling tapes will
remain in the same format which makes sense.  Only data written on new
scratch tapes would benefit from the new drives writing format.  That also
make alot of sense.

Assuming that there is no problem reading the media what confuses me a
little is why I would want to define a new device class. In the current
environment the device class is  "DLT" and the format is set to "drives."
Those are the only 2 that really matter, correct?  As long as I associate
the new drives to that device class I should not have to create any new
device classes.  I could just use the existing class and let the drives do
the translations from one format to the next.  Am I being too simple?

No, I think you are correct.  I think you should be able to continue using
your DLT device class if the format is set to "drive".  Y

You don't actually associate drives with a device class.  Rather, you
associate a device class with a library (which contains those drives).

One other thing that I'm not clear about, but perhaps someone else on the
list could comment on, is whether you need to re-label tapes to get them
written in the higher density, or if this happens automatically after a
tape is reclaimed.

Jack