ADSM-L

Cleaning a Qualstar 46120 library

2000-09-29 10:02:28
Subject: Cleaning a Qualstar 46120 library
From: Dean Winger <adsmmgr AT WCER.WISC DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:01:41 -0500
Can anyone help with this?
I have a Qualstar 46120 tape library outfitted with four AIT-2 drives.  I would
like to set up a schedule for cleaning the drives.  Any recommendations on how
I should do this?  I am using TSM 4.1.1 for Windows NT.

I do not think that this library has the built in capability of automating this
process via a hardware solution.  I see that there is a cleaning frequency
parameter with options for Gigabytes/ASNEEDED/None.  Is this what I should be
using?  If so how should I set it for this library with AIT-2 drives?

Just a side note:  I thought the press releases for AIT-2 technology stated
that these drives are self-cleaning.  If this is true, why does Sony make
cleaning tapes?

Thanks for your help

Dean Winger
Director of Computer Services