ADSM-L

Re: Restore Volume from offsite tapes

2000-09-28 15:52:11
Subject: Re: Restore Volume from offsite tapes
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 15:51:02 -0400
>Thanks for all the response, it's truely helpfull and encouraging.
>Good news is, we found the tape (Richard, we didn't give up searching :)
>Strange news is, the tape is in a cabinet where we keep our scratch tapes,
>how it got out there at the first place? my best bet is due to human error.
>I'm still puzzle with why mtlib shows it's present in the library (even
>after re-inventory the library) when it's actually outside of the library?

Estee - Most good.  My first reaction was that you might have found some
        other lost treasures in that cabinet.  This is the whole thing about
automated libraries: people need to keep out of them to avoid fouling up the
intent and discipline.
    If the tape were manually removed and a re-inventory actually done, the
category code *should* have been FFFA (Manually Ejected).  But what you saw
was an ordinary Private category code, which suggests no re-inventory.
All in all, whatever manual actions are taking place in regards to that
library seem to have too many adverse effects.
   Richard