ADSM-L

Re: Incr. Online SAP backup

2000-09-28 15:15:22
Subject: Re: Incr. Online SAP backup
From: Keith Roshto <keith-roshto AT RELIANTENERGY DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 14:14:13 -0500
Did you link the TSM connectAgent with Oracle after all was installed? This
could cause the error (4110) BACKUP_DIR not set.

Honestly i cannot remember all the issues, but i do remember receiving the
BACKUP_DIR error (quite a bit ago), and i think that problem was fixed when
i worked out the parms for channel allocation. Make sure these are correct.

Here is some info from the docs:

In Oracle version 8.1, if the RMAN-8526 message states that the disk API
was used, then the BACKUP_DIR environment variable was successfully
resolved by the Oracle channel and RMAN made the backup using the disk API.
If you do not see the 4110 or RMAN-008526 errors, but RMAN is not making
backups to the media manager, then follow the procedure below to determine
whether Oracle is using the dummy API.

To determine whether Oracle is using the dummy API:

Navigate to $ORACLE_HOME/bin. For example, enter:       % cd
$ORACLE_HOME/bin

List the dynamic dependencies, that is, the shared objects linked at
runtime when you execute Oracle. The command differs depending on your
version of UNIX. For example, on Solaris issue:    % ldd oracle | grep
libobk.so

Examine the output to see whether libobk.so is symbolically linked to
libdsbtsh8.so:  libobk.so  ->  libdsbtsh8.so

If so, then Oracle is linking to the dummy API instead of your media management
API.

Test further by trying a backup using the dummy API. Note that you must set
the parms parameter of the allocate command so that the ENV variable
specifies a valid pathname for the BACKUP_DIR destination.

For example, you can issue:

run {
     allocate channel c1 type 'sbt_tape'
       parms="ENV=(BACKUP_DIR=/oracle/work)";
     backup tablespace system;
}

If you see RMAN-08526 and RMAN-08525 in the output, then the backup to disk
using the dummy API was successful:

RMAN-08526: channel c1: WARNING: Oracle Test Disk API
RMAN-08525: backup set complete, elapsed time: 00:00:25

If Oracle is linked to the dummy API instead of your media manager's shared
library, then you must tell Oracle to link to the media manager's shared
library instead.

To relink to your media management API:

Shut down all databases that are using the Oracle executable before removing
the old libobk.so link.
For example, enter:      SQL> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE

Delete the old symbolic link for libobk.so:   % rm $ORACLE_HOME/lib/libok.so

Create a symbolic link between libobk.so and the shared library that you
want to use. For example, on SunSolaris you can create the symbolic link
libobk.so to a shared library such as liblsm.so using the ln command:
     % ln  -s  $ORACLE_HOME/lib/libobk.so  $ORACLE_HOME/lib/liblsm.so

Check that the link is successful by using the sbttest test program to back up
a file. For example, enter:           % sbttest  -testfile

Hope this helps,
KRoshto

TSM TSM <tsmtsm AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 09/28/2000 01:30:08 PM