ADSM-L

Re: Restore Volume from offsite tapes

2000-09-28 11:09:32
Subject: Re: Restore Volume from offsite tapes
From: Allen Barth <abarth AT KEMPER DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:51:02 -0500
I'll 2nd that!  I've found many tapes in creative location in our 3494.

Besides the floor, I've found them between racks, one riding back and forth on
the bottom frame fo the robot car, and as we have HA, found one in the 2nd
gripper on a robot arm that died just at the right time, and also found one
UNDER a parked robot arm.

And OK, there were a few that were found to NOT be in the 3494.  (operator
fingers healing nicely).

Agreeing with Richard, don't give up.  Put the 3494 in pause, open all doors,
and give it a GOOD physical examination (and don't be afraid to move the robot
car either)

Al Barth
Scudder Kemper Invesments

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          S W Branch   |
|        |          <swbranc@PPCO|
|        |          .COM>        |
|        |          Sent by:     |
|        |          "ADSM: Dist  |
|        |          Stor Manager"|
|        |          <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA|
|        |          RIST.EDU>    |
|        |                       |
|        |                       |
|        |          09/28/00     |
|        |          08:24 AM     |
|        |          Please       |
|        |          respond to   |
|        |          "ADSM: Dist  |
|        |          Stor Manager"|
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  |       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

  |       cc:                                                                  |
  |       Subject:     Re: Restore Volume from offsite tapes                   |

To follow up on what Richard said about the gripper, have you looked at the
bottom of the library? Several years ago we were missing a tape. The
library said the tape was present, but ADSM couldn't mount it. We visually
examined all cells in the library (thankfully, it was only a single frame)
and still couldn't find it. Finally, I thought to look on the bottom of the
library and sure enough, that's where it was.You really have to look hard
because the cartridge is mostly black and the floor of the library is also
black.

Steve Branch
Phillips Petroleum
e-mail: swbranc AT ppco DOT com

Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 09/28/2000 06:55:32 AM

Any replies will be addressed to: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
      <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

To:   ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc:

>we have a primary disk pool, a primary tape pool(in 3494 tape library) and
>copy tape pool(also our drm tape pool, which get offsite everyday).
>We lost/misplace one volume from primary tape pool (how it get out from
the
>3494 tape library? I don't know), I found that out when space reclamation
>failed.
>
>"q vol HO1302" shows it's in primary tape pool
>"q libvol 3494 HO1302" said no match found
>"mtlib -l /dev/lmcp0 -qV -VHO1302" shows
>Volume Data:
>   volume state.........Volume present in Library, but Inaccessible
>   logical volume.......No
>   volume class.........3590 1/2 inch cartridge tape
>   volume type..........HPCT 320m nominal length
>   volser...............HO1302
>   category.............012C
>... trust me, the tape is not in the library.
>question#1 : why mtlib says it's present in library??

Because it is in the library.  Have you ever heard of a tape that broke out
of
The Big House and was profiled on a Most Wanted tv show?  No, certainly
not.
They just don't do that.  It's in there, as the Category Code of 012C (your
Private category) and mtlib telling you that it is in the library, but in
an
Inaccessible state - which typically indicates that the tape volume is
stuck
in a drive - failed to unload.  (Or possibly the robot gripper had slippery
fingers when trying to remove the tape from its cell.)  Your library should
also be in an Intervention Required state.  Go to its Operator Station and
check there.  In particular, use the Library Manager database menu to have
it
tell you where the tape is in the library - storage cell or drive.  You can
also issue other mtlib commands to check library state and drives, where
the
latter would tell you if a tape is loaded.  To resolve such a situation,
you
usually have to open the doors, take the tape from whereever it is and put
it
into cell 1, close the doors, and the robot will put the tape away such
that
it now knows where it is.  If the tape is stuck in a drive, try resetting
the
tape drive to free it.  In TSM you will have to do an Update Volume to
change
the tape from its Unavailable state to Readwrite, and do an Update Drive to
make it Online again.  (I've been there.)

You should never simply say "Oh, well" and stop looking for a tape that has
no
reason to be elsewhere.  Bad idea, because it does not solve the problem.

    Richard Sims, BU